- 3 large apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup self-rising flour *
(or 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp baking powder, mixed well)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 medium eggs, beaten (set aside 2 Tbsp for topping)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 325. Butter a deep 9″ round baking pan (which will double as the serving container).
Put chopped apples into pan, spreading evenly. Beat remaining cake ingredients into a smooth batter (I use a food processor). Pour over apples in pan. Level the top, then bake for 40 – 45 minutes until lightly golden.
Combine topping ingredients, mixing well.
Remove cake from oven and spoon topping over cake. Return cake to oven for additional 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Cool cake on rack, and serve from pan.