- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 6 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons coconut cream (if you can’t find this, use the thick layer of cream found in coconut milk, plus the milk as required to make up the amount)
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons sweet corn, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in the fry pan over a medium setting.
Fry the scallions and peppers until softened, but not browned. Lift out and cool slightly. [The pan can now be used again, as it is, to fry the fritters]
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
Whisk in the egg, coconut cream, chili sauce and cilantro. Beat until the mixture is smooth (it should be a thick consistency).
Stir in the fried vegetables, sweet corn and a little black pepper.
Heat half the remaining oil in the pan.
Spoon rounded tablespoons of the mixture, spaced apart, into the pan cooking 3 or 4 at a time.
Fry until the bottom is golden, then turn over and cook on other side.
Add more oil as needed. Drain fritters on a paper towel and serve hot or cold with dipping sauce.
Note: Mixture can be a day ahead, refrigerated and then cooked when required.