- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large yam, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 – 2 tsp garam masala
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until golden ~ 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Stir in cumin and cinnamon, garam masala and cook just until spices smell toasty ~ 30 seconds.
Add broth, chickpeas, yam and prunes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until yam is tender ~ about 10 minutes.
Stir in cilantro; add salt and pepper to taste.