- 1.25 lbs (approx 0.5 kg) grated Cheddar cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking power
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Cream together butter and cheese.
Sift remaining ingredients together; add gradually to creamed mixture, mixing well after each addition.
Fill cookie press with batter and press rows of unbroken strings of batter onto parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake 20 minutes in 350 degree preheated oven.
Allow straws to cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet and break into 3 or 4 inch straws.
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 6 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons coconut cream (if you can’t find this, use the thick layer of cream found in coconut milk, plus the milk as required to make up the amount)
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons sweet corn, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in the fry pan over a medium setting.
Fry the scallions and peppers until softened, but not browned. Lift out and cool slightly. [The pan can now be used again, as it is, to fry the fritters]
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
Whisk in the egg, coconut cream, chili sauce and cilantro. Beat until the mixture is smooth (it should be a thick consistency).
Stir in the fried vegetables, sweet corn and a little black pepper.
Heat half the remaining oil in the pan.
Spoon rounded tablespoons of the mixture, spaced apart, into the pan cooking 3 or 4 at a time.
Fry until the bottom is golden, then turn over and cook on other side.
Add more oil as needed. Drain fritters on a paper towel and serve hot or cold with dipping sauce.
Note: Mixture can be a day ahead, refrigerated and then cooked when required.